Encouragement is not quite so lofty. It’s more like walking beside someone through the everyday stuff, not just the big dramatic moments. Encouragement takes conscious effort, whereas being an inspiration would be a nice, unexpected by-product.
I’m honored that Creative Liz and MariaGiovanna at Sharing My Italy, have both nominated me for the Very Inspiring Blogger award. This is a really sweet show of encouragement for me. And I am grateful for it.
I think it’s a blessing when the things we’re passionate about can, in turn, encourage others’ talents in ways that may be extremely different from our own.
When I started this blog, it was my hope to encourage others to:
- Read broadly: books outside of your usual genre. You might just discover new interests.
- Travel: and search for the bright side when itineraries don’t work out as you plan. Sometimes, those hiccups end up being your best memories.
- Write: at least once a week, a note, email…okay, or text, to a friend who could use a little encouragement.
- Volunteer: it won’t be conveniently timed. It never is. But later, you’ll be happy you did.
- Experience New Foods and Cultures: Don’t look for the most familiar items on a menu.
- Persevere and have faith: Faith makes things possible, not easy. I have this saying, hanging in my kitchen as a daily reminder.
But now, I hope these are just starting points for you.
In (mostly) keeping with the rules for accepting the Very Inspiring Blogger award…
7 (Or, how ‘bout 5) Things About Me
- When visiting European cities, cathedrals and old churches tend to be my first sightseeing destination.
- I managed to kill a cactus while trying very hard to take good care of it. (Maybe that was the problem)
- I love Ethiopian food.
- I love to cook, but baking absolutely requires the use of a timer or I burn things.
- I’m a Midwest girl who moved to the South many years ago and has yet to get over the novelty of having palm trees in my yard.
Very Inspiring Blogger Rules:
~Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in your post.
~Share 7 things about yourself
~Nominate 7 bloggers you admire
~Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they’ve been nominated.
Bloggers who I find encouraging in their own unique ways:
Beth Vogt: a great author and woman of strong faith and perseverance, who recently returned home after being evacuated b/c of the Colorado fires. Yay! Loved reading her debut novel, Wish You Were Here and enjoy her daily offering of inspirational quotes and ideas to ponder.
Grace, over at CzechtheFlip, who is Filipino, married to a Czech, and has an American son, blogging about life and culture in the Czech Republic.
Ames over at A Dose of Good, who did a year of volunteering
Shari at My Writing Life, who shares my love of writing and dance.
Shelley at Fraidy Cat Confessions who shares faith, encouragement and a calling to promote awareness for a cause close to my heart, the eradication of human trafficking. She recently wrote a book on the subject.
Melissa over at Tag(g)lines, whose faith and hard work in writing has just paid off! She just got an agent! Yay! (I know writers are supposed to be sparing of exclamation points, but there are times that deserve them.)
Who inspires you? Do they know it? Think now might be a good time to tell them?